Waste Reduction & Recycling
Celebrating America Recycles Day – KNCB Offers Free Recycling Collections in November
Background: America Recycles Day (ARD)SM , a program of Keep America Beautiful, is the only nationally-recognized day and community-driven national awareness initiative dedicated to promoting, energizing and celebrating recycling in the United States. Since its inception in 1997, communities have participated in America Recycles DaySM on November 15 to promote environmental citizenship, educate and encourage action.
Theme: One day to inform and educate. One day to get our neighbors, friends and community leaders excited about what can be accomplished when we all work together. One day to make recycling bigger and better—365 days a year.
Event Overview: Events offer individuals a chance to recycle the following items that are not taken curbside and can require more work to properly recycle:
NOTE: Not all of these items below are accepted materials at all recycling drives. Each drive is different in the materials accepted for collection.
- Electronics (anything with a cord)
- Rigid Plastics (plastic, toys, lawn furniture, 2 feet in length and 40 pds or less)
- Paper Shredding (three box limit per person)
- Election Campaign Signs (Plastic “COR”, polybag and paperboard signs separated by type, metal frames, NO wooden stakes, remove signs from frames/stakes before bringing to event.)
- Compact Florescent Light Bulbs (CFLs)
- Plastic Bags & Film (clean, grocery, retail, newspaper, dry cleaning and toilet paper, paper towel, napkin & electronic wraps)
- Household hazardous waste